About the Microsoft Upgrade - All Staff Message from CIO
Upgrades of the Urban Email System and Microsoft Office Suite
In an ongoing effort to increase mobility and access to integrated productivity tools, and to improve the quality of your daily work experience at Urban, we’re upgrading Urban’s email and Microsoft Office suite to the latest versions (Office 365 and Microsoft Office 2016).
Benefits of this upgrade:
- New and improved features of the latest Microsoft Office suite
- Increased mailbox storage size: you will have 50 GB compared to the current 2GB limit on your mailbox.
- Consistent webmail and desktop Outlook experience: The new webmail (online Outlook) of Office 365 gives you access to most features available in the desktop version of Outlook.
- Ability to install MS Office 2016 on Mac and home computers: the new version of MS Office includes 5 licenses per user allowing you to install it on multiple devices (PC, Mac and mobile) including your home machine, without additional cost.
- Online searchable 50GB email archive: on top of your 50GB mailbox, you will have additional 50GB for online email archiving. This will eliminate the need for desktop email archive and makes your archived email searchable and accessible online from any device.
- Easier transition to the full Office 365 suite: The upgrade to Office 2016 and migrating email and calendar will make everyone familiar with the new look and feel of Office 365, a suite of web-based tools that offers in addition to email, an online version of the Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, ..) and many more.
What’s next and when
These upgrades will be rolled out floor by floor starting May 1st 2017. There will be two phases for each floor/group:
- Phase 1 (starting May 1st) : Installation of Office 2016 on user computers
- Phase 2 (starting May 22nd): Migration of mailboxes to Office 365.
By June 30th 2017, all user computers will be upgraded to Office 2016 and mailboxes will be migrated to Office 365, at which point, we will start supporting users in migrating desktop email archives. Before your scheduled upgrade and migration, your department will receive communication from Greta Kauffman, Sr. Manager of IT User Tech & Support, with important details about the process, schedules, training and support. Support and training will include introductory sessions, hands on trainings, onsite tech support, one page handouts, and online material: Getting Started, short videos, FAQs and links to additional resources.
About Office 365
Office 365 is a suite of web-based tools that offers email and calendaring features, and an online version of the Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, etc.) and online collaboration tools. Once the migration of email is completed we’ll start enabling the online features of Office 365 based on usability and value to you. For a brief introduction of Office 2016 and Office 365 click here. To learn more about features included in Urban’s Office 365 licensing click here.
If you have questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
VP, IT and CIO